Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Which Authors Would You Dine With?

Great question posed by Ukkiwibookgirl!  The authors may be living or long dead.  I would add to this question where you would meet, what you would eat together and what you would talk about or maybe read together (though most authors probably wouldn't want to read their own work, I'll pick one of their novels).  This sounds like fun :oD

Here are my selections (in no particular order of preference):


1)  John Steinbeck
Where:  Somewhere in the Midwest
Read: East of Eden
Discuss:  Economic crisis as compared to Depression era in The Grapes of Wrath
Eat:  Pancakes





2)  Truman Capote
Where:  Paris
Read:  Breakfast at Tiffany's
Discuss:  Hollywood culture & gossip
Eat:  Pastries





3)  Jane Hamilton
Where:  Wisconsin
Read:  The Book of Ruth
Discuss:  Deromanticizing farm life
Eat:  Homemade breakfast






4)  L.M. Montgomery
Where:  Prince Edward Island
Read:  Anne of Green Gables
Discuss:  Canadian Maritimes
Eat:  Picnic sandwiches




5)  Stephen King
Where:  Maine
Read:  The Stand
Discuss:  Dreams & nightmares
Eat:  Probably won't want to eat!




6)  Audrey Niffenegger
Where:  Chicago
Read:  The Time Traveler's Wife
Discuss:  Paranormal phenomena
Eat:  Thai



7)  Andrew Morton
Where:  London
Read:  Tom Cruise: An Unauthorized Biography
Discuss:  Anonymous source material
Eat:  Desserts






8)  Margaret Laurence
Where:  Manitoba
Read:  The Diviners
Discuss:  Family history
Eat:  Steak




9)  Anna Quindlen
Where:  New York
Read:  Black & Blue
Discuss:  Mother-daughter relationships
Eat:  Sushi






10)  Jack Kerouac
Where:  In a car driving cross-country
Read:  On the Road
Discuss:  Politics & counterculture
Eat:  Whatever we find along the way

1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic question. I love your answers and what you chose to eat with them!

    ReplyDelete