Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Count of Monte Cristo- Alexandre Dumas

Purchase:  Amazon | Chapters

Published:  1844
Pages:  396
ISBN:  9780140373530
Genre:  Classics

Started:  Oct. 23, 2011
Finished:  Oct. 28, 2011 (6 days)

Where Found:  Book Depot
Why Read:  On my TBR list

Summary:  Years after being wrongfully imprisoned, Edmond Dantes seeks the truth behind his arrest, justice served to those who wronged him, riches for the friends who stood by him, and to reunite with his beloved Mercedes.

Review:

Quite simply, I loved this book.  Though introduced in my favourite movie, The Shawshank Redemption, as being "about a prison break," it was about so much more with beautifully interwoven themes of revenge, the longevity of love and friendship, loyalty, and the fact that there is no statute of limitations on seeking justice.  The characters were richly developed and all played a significant part in the story.  Unexpected changes came with nearly every chapter after the initial conflict begins.  Each chapter ends on a cliffhanger, owing to the fact that the book was originally printed in serial form, the earliest form of the suspense thriller, but is much smarter than the average book in this more contemporary genre.

Along with the books of Jane Austen, this is the perfect introduction to classic literature for young adults. I pictured myself reading and teaching this book to middle or high school students, and just maybe one of them might say, "Oh, this is what they're trying to say? Why can't Shakespeare and all those other old writers write it that way?"

If you're reluctant to read classics or if you love them, you can't do much better than this.  It's a ride without brakes.

Please note:  I didn't realize this was an abridged edition until I started the book, and as much as I loved it, I'm wondering if anyone knows what was edited or changed?  It did seem like some language was modernized and I've read that the page conut is pared down, but I sure hope the original story wasn't mangled in the process!  Otherwise, what edition would you recommend?

P.S.  I'm envious of this Barnes & Noble cover.  Aren't their leather-bound books gorgeous?





Rank:  (A+)- Amazing, Must Read!

9 comments:

  1. I want to read this but it is just so long! The fact that you said it is easy to follow does make me more inclined to read it though ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book too. I was pleasantly surprised at how readable it was and enjoyed the complex plot. I just finished Three Musketeers a couple weeks ago and liked that one nearly as much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm dying to read this one and plan to in 2012. I'm guessing that your abridged version probably had some huge cuts if it was 396 pages long. My copy is more that 1,100 pages and it's unabridged. Glad you enjoyed it though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Sultan of Monte Cristo ( a recently written sequal to the clasic) is a very well written book; the author did a great job matching the writing style and verbiage used in the original Count of Monet Cristo. While a classic like The Count of Monte Cristo is a hard act to compete with, this book did a splendid job. The characters begin to come to life, and their dialog and interactions almost make you feel like you are in the 1800′s. Familiar characters such as Mercedes and the Count himself are wrapped in a unique plot that makes you anxious to turn the page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love The Count of Monte Cristo. I also recently read a sequel to it from another author called The Sultan of Monte Cristo that does a very good job at matching the voice of the original story, and the overall feel of reading the novel is very much similar to the original. If you're a fan of the original, I'd recommend checking that out as well. A very enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting that you are posting about The Count of Monte Cristo, as I just completed The Sultan of Monte Cristo, a wonderful and engaging follow-up to this book. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorite books! Recently I stumbled upon a sequel by an anonymous writer and I have to say I really enjoyed it. You can check it out here:
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Sultan-Monte-Cristo-ebook/dp/B008HV55YA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you enjoyed the Count of Monte Cristo, you will LOVE The Sultan of Monte Cristo: First Sequel to the Count of Monte Cristo by Holy Ghost Writer and That Girl Started Her Own Country. The latter is a modern-day version of the revenge story as if the Count were transported through time as the female central character, Zaydee. Has anyone read these?

    ReplyDelete
  9. If the copy is under 1,000 pgs, I guarantee you it's an abridged version.

    There are so many different abridged editions floating around, it's easy to forget how long this baby really is.

    But even though it's a hefty volume, you are absolutely right... it is a pg burner.

    I love books like you do. And I'm a stickler for seeking out "complete and unabridged" editions. It's the only way for me.

    I enjoyed reading your review. And can't encourage you enough to seek out a copy of Dumas' original. It's incred! Peace
    Casey "The College Crowd Digs Me" Chambers

    ReplyDelete