Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Literary Blog Hop


A weekly meme hosted @ The Blue Bookcase.

This week's topic is from Mel u @ The Reading Life:

If you were going off to war (or some other similarly horrific situation) and could only take one book with you, which book would you take and why?

What a powerful question that brings up so many issues: what is something I would read that I could easily carry around with me, want to re-read (potentially over and over again) if I finished it, either allowed me to escape from my situation or be further educated about it (though that could be awfully depressing), and did not discourage or disappoint me, but was instead a friend, a comfort, and a pleasure, all necessities that would be rare in a situation such as this.  Also, would I want to read this book for the first time in this situation or would I want a favourite book that I can rely on?  If I were to die in this situation, would I want this book to be the last I ever read?  Would I want to die not knowing how it ended?  As I mentioned at the onset...a powerful question.


When it's all said and done, I would want a book that I've read before, cherish for many reasons, would be willing to possibly re-read several times, and would be honoured to have been the last book I ever read.  Stephen King may be known as a horror writer, but The Green Mile is his deepest book on many levels--it explores themes of humanity, trust, truth, friendship, and perhaps spirituality; it maintains a strong impact throughout and allows the reader to give it considerable afterthought; and it emits a mysterious quality that at once fascinates, inspires, and grips you.  As for its practicality, The Green Mile is long but compact in my paperback edition so that I could easily carry it with me wherever I may go.

I have previously reviewed this book here.

20 comments:

  1. Oh fabulous choice. I've never read this one and I just put it on my wishlist. I've seen the movie and thought it was heart melting. I like it when a book really makes me think, and from what I've heard/seen/read, this is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you can only choose one book and this is it. That's a strong recommendation. I'm going to have to get this one off my TBR shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'm going to have to put this on my TBR list! I like Stephen King's writing, but have only read a few of his books (non-horror stuff).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing choice! I'm not sure I could take it to war though, considering that I'd cry so much at it that my fellow soldiers probably wouldn't be able to take it anymore and would shoot me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to have check this one out. You make a very strong case for me to drop everything and start reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book, I read it orignally as came out in a monthly serial. I still have those slim volumes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never read this one. Must be amazing for you to put it at the top of your list. Thank you for sharing this.

    Here's my post: www.readerbuzz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad you enjoyed my question-I confess I have yet to read a Stephen King book-thanks for giving such a thought filled answer

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to confess, I have never read anything by Stephen King but may well do so now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this book a couple of years ago, and I completely agree that it's one of his deepest books. It tackled a ton of themes, and it was one of the first books that really made me think. Also, I cried for John Coffee in the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this movie, but I've never checked out the book. Your "teacher/learner" reminds me of the Milgram obedience experiment, which is an odd association, I admit, but there it is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all your comments :)

    Kate, Avid Reader, Melody, BookBelle & Deb~
    Please do :) It's an amazing book.

    Laura~ I definitely had to think about the book's emotional wallop and if that would affect me. I think my lack of weaponry skills would probably do me in first :/

    Sharon~ I've seen the serials but went for the practical route :)

    mel u~ You gave us such a thought-provoking question--thank YOU!

    Falaise~ The Green Mile is rather different from King's typical horror stories. I did a post on King's books, which might be a possible starting point for you. Enjoy!

    Darlyn~ Agree! Don't forget his name is "like the drink but not spelled the same" (Coffey) ;)

    Robyn~ Oh dear, no! My nickname is from the concept that my job is both to teach students and to learn from them at the same time, so my career is technically as a lifelong teacher/learner :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still haven't read this, or seen the movie, but I love the idea of someone bringing Stephen King into war. I could see his novella "The Body" (which inspired the movie Stand By Me) being similarly appealing in this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. not read this one,although once fell asleep in front of the film, so interesting choice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know this book. But I think your strategy is good. Take a book that you already know. What if you got stuck with a book that you really didn't like? No good! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you didn't already know the book well, you would after this experience! I went with Crime and Punishment, which is a favorite for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting choice. I never thought of Stephen King.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've wanted to read that book forever. Now I really need to ;)

    I'm following from the hop.

    ecwrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like a great choice. I didn't know King wrote it, though. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never read The Green Mile, but it sounds like a fascinating choice!

    ReplyDelete