Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Sunday, February 27, 2011

A Twist of Lemmon- Chris Lemmon

Purchase:  Amazon | Chapters
Published:  2006
Pages:  193
ISBN:  9781557837394
Genre:  Biography/Memoir

Start Date:  Feb. 19, 2011
Finished Date:  Feb. 22, 2011 (3 days)

Where Found:  Birthday gift
Why Read:  I love many of Jack Lemmon's movies and always thought he was the genuine article (an "everyman").

Summary:  Actor/writer Chris Lemmon writes a touching memoir of his father, legendary actor Jack Lemmon, with a particular focus on their relationship at home, on movie sets, and on the golf course.

Review:

There are not very many biographies of Jack Lemmon in print, so I was delighted to come across this fairly recent book written by his son.  I was not expecting a biography (which technically it isn't) but a nostalgic kind of anecdotal scrapbook (which it is).  I enjoyed the stories, many of which show a side of Jack Lemmon his movie fans would not see on screen--a teller of dirty jokes, cussing continously over a bad slice on the golf course, and loving a good prank.

The younger Lemmon, whose photo on the back cover bears an uncanny resemblance to his father, is a very good storyteller with a keen ability to set the scene without being too flashy yet keeps your interest throughout.  The book's anecdotes are a bit short on what most fans want to know about--his movies--however it offers plenty of personal stories that satisfy.  Near the halfway point, Chris Lemmon starts to get a bit too self-promotional, but his love, admiration, and friendship for his father (often unspoken, undemonstrated, yet understood) shines through.  The reflective nature of the stories is the younger Lemmon's way of forging an adult relationship and saying a final goodbye to his father during his ongoing struggle with aggressive bladder cancer, which claimed the iconic actor's life in 2001.

This book is a wonderful treat for fans of Jack Lemmon and those who enjoy stories about father-son relationships.  It ends with a number of delightful stories from Hollywood friends & costars, including a touching poem by Tony Curtis, his costar in my favourite Lemmon comedy, Some Like It Hot.

Rank:  (B)- Very Good, Recommend

5 comments:

  1. I have never seen this book before, but it is now on my TBR list. I loved Jack's movies, and like you I loved him in "Some Like It Hot' also. It is just a fun feel good movie.

    Thank you for the visit to My Reading Corner today. I am glad to meet you, Cheryl is such a sweetie to feature a new bookie each week. I have met so many new bloggers because of her Shining Star feature each week. Thanks for being a new follower also. Also, thanks for the nice comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this one in the library and even checked it out once but didn't make time to read it. I'll have to wait for the mood to strike again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that Jack Lemmon deserves such a book. I will keep this in mind. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wasn't he great? I loved all of his movies. His comedic timing was perfect and he did have that "everyman" thing going on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all your comments :) I think you would all enjoy this book. It's a quick read & very touching, especially for fans of Jack Lemmon.

    ReplyDelete