Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Friday, March 18, 2011

A is For Alibi- Sue Grafton (#1- Kinsey Millhone series)

Purchase:  Amazon | Chapters
Published:  1982
Pages:  308
ISBN:  9780312938994
Genre:  Mystery/Thriller

Start Date:  Mar. 16, 2011
Finished Date:  Mar. 18, 2011 (3 days)

Where Found:  Chapters-Indigo
Why Read:  Mostly for a reading challenge; was interested in re-reading it

Read for:  1st in a Series Challenge (3/6)
Previously Read:  For an American lit course with a hard-boiled mystery theme, previously reviewed here

Summary:  A private investigator simultanously investigates the potential innocence of a recent parolee convicted of murdering her husband that coincides with the similar death of an associate while continuing to look into a small claims case.
Review:

There isn't very much to add that I haven't written about this book before.  It's a solid mystery with a reliable, easy-to-like protagonist in Kinsey Millhone.  In this particular book, the first in the "alphabet" series (currently up to "U"), there are many suspects, keeping you guessing and leading to an electrifying ending.  Grafton makes the repetitive nature of Kinsey's job as a private investigator, especially the ongoing interviews with suspects and connections interesting.  She gives lots of interesting descriptions of interior and exterior locations, which may be annoying in any other book, but in a mystery with a P.I., this attention to detail adds to its charm.

In hindsight, I went a bit overboard with an A+ ranking, as it doesn't quite fit in the company of my 40-some odd other A+s.  I have read better books than A is For Alibi, but very few mysteries can top this one.  For more details, you can read my old review here.

Rank:  (A)- Very Good, Highly Recommend

1 comment:

  1. This is such a fun series. I'm currently on book 'I'. I love picking them up when I need a light entertaining read. Kinsey is just such a wonderful character.

    ReplyDelete