Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Friday, March 18, 2011

Literary Blog Hop!


A biweekly meme hosted @ The Blue Bookcase.

This week's topic is from Debbie @ ReaderBuzz:

What one literary work must you read before you die?

As The Blue Bookcase pointed out, you could interpret this question two ways & I'm going to answer both:

What must I read before I die?

I definitely need to read at least one book by Ernest Hemingway and one by John Steinbeck, two authors I've completely neglected and never read in school.

What must you read before you die?



This is very general as I wouldn't know your particular brand of reading material and very limited scope compared to the numerous books that get recommended every day, but I would very strongly suggest you read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon, one of the most unique books I've ever read.  It's incredibly informative about one of the most prevalent type of minds we encounter often today: autistic.  For that matter, any book that informs us about important issues (social, political, physical, personal) should be read before we no longer have to worry about them.


I'd love to hear what you chose for this week's topic!

13 comments:

  1. Curious Incident is one of my favorite books! Good choice. I've seen this question around the blogs lately and it's got me to thinking about what my ONE book would be. Hmm I'm just not sure . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was mandatory when I was in HS to read Hemingway so I have accomplished that. So to answer your question, it would have to be all the books on my tbr bucket list. The problem, however, is that I keep adding to the lists due to all the great reviews from other bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read The Sun also Rises by Hemingway and I found it just ok -- will be reviewing it next week along with A Moveable Feast, which is a sort-of memoir of his time in Paris and which I am LOVING.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree. I was blown away when I read this last year. It was so refreshing to read something completly unique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Curious Incident of the Dog is a good read & you seem to have found this easier than i did, i stomped whinged, sulked muttering don't make me chose, before choosing a book about reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this yet, but would like to. I had it in my classroom library, but it *disappeared*...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read The Curious Incident of the Dog... but it was serialized and read on the BBC World Service and I was totally glued to the radio when it was on. You picked two essential authors and I do hope that you enjoy their books when you read them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved The Curious Incident, that's a good recommendation. I've read Hemingway and Steinbeck. I never could get carried away by Hemingway's writing style, obviously people love him but just not me. Steinbeck is definitely a must-read.
    Enjoyed visiting your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to see some different answers on this blog ;) I've never read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time but I've seen SO MANY people reading it. I honestly don't even know what it's about!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such good choices! I adore Mark Haddon. Have you read A Spot of Bother?

    Steinbeck and Hemingway are both fantastic; may I suggest Cannery Row and The Grapes of Wrath by the former, and A Farewell to Arms, The Sun Also Rises, and any short stories by the latter?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Steinbeck, especially East of Eden. And The Curious Incident is very good, too. A good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hemingway's short story collection, Men Without Women is fantastic. His stories are rich, but easy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a huge fan of the Curious Incident also. It seems to have waned in interest in the library, however. Everyone wants to read the most recent fad book and often neglects the older ones. Don't know what book I think everyone should read because there are so many greats but I know I need to read some Dickens.

    ReplyDelete