Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Monday, October 24, 2011

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


A weekly meme hosted by Sheila @ Book Journey.

I skipped a post last Monday as my progress was identical to the previous week.  This past week: progress!

Read This Week:  (1)
The Stand- Stephen King (A)--review coming soon
...and 3 DNFs!  Here's why that happened.

Currently Reading:  (3)
The Count of Monte Cristo- Alexandre Dumas--off to an awesome start; definitely influenced The Shawshank Redemption, my favourite movie :)

U2 by U2- Bono, the Edge, Adam Clayton & Larry Mullen Jr. (a.k.a. U2)--fun!

My Life- Bill Clinton--I won't "DNF" this...probably won't finish until into 2012 :)

Reviews This Week:  (2)
A 2-in-1 post for Born Standing Up by Steve Martin & Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris.

I'm just behind by 3 now :)

Next to Read:
I'll probably finish off the Back to the Classics challenge (my last one!) with my replacement 20th century pick, The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway.  Wish me luck :)

Other Bookish News:
I went with a friend of mine to see The Ides of March with George Clooney & Ryan Gosling (also a great supporting cast of Paul Giamatti, Philip Seymour Hoffman & Evan Rachel Wood).  It was quite good, full of political scandal and intrigue.  I recommend it...and having two smokin' hot leading men doesn't hurt, either ;)

After the movie, we stopped off at the Indigo bookstore and I couldn't leave without snapping up at least 1 book.  I chose We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver (who, until news of the movie version came about, I thought was a man....oops!).  I also got the super fun musical Singin' in the Rain on DVD for just $10 (for me) and an early Xmas gift for my dad.

Have a great reading week!

6 comments:

  1. You read The Stand?! *gasp*!!! My dad read it and said that I MUST make some time to read it. Looking forward to your review.

    xo,
    Lah @ LazyGirl Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I re-read The Stand last year and didn't find it to be as good as I remembered. When I read it in college...it just seemed so epic to me. Not so much anymore. Maybe I am jaded in my 40s. Maybe I just didn't have the time for those extra pages in the uncut version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good week you had! That movie looks great - an amazing cast! And the stop at the bookstore sounds awesome - is there anything better than browsing through a bookstore? I thought Lionel Shriver was a man, too. Who knew??

    Congratulations on finishing The Stand!! Did you love it?

    Enjoy your books this week!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you ended up with all those DNFs, but the Count of Monte Cristo should be great!
    I am too stubborn about finishing everything - I should really let some fall by the wayside when they are not too compelling. I miss other good books that way!
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice update this week and nice work finishing The Stand. The Old Man and the Sea is a much better choice.... Never really could get into On the Road. Also, hope you keep enjoying Monte Cristo - great book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to have The Stand, but my son suddenly developed a Stephen King obsession and he absconded with all my SK novels! Don't know whether to laugh or cry!

    ReplyDelete