Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Friday, September 3, 2010

A Couple of Neat Random Things...

Good morning & TGIF!  I've recently come across a few neat random things (somewhat reading related--then again, what isn't?) in my blog travels & from e-mail forwards that I just have to include here because random things "complete me"...wow, I'm out of touch: an overused 90s movie line!

Ahhh...that's the spot!
Photo (c) Happy Toast, hosted by LadySandee

This was in an e-mail forward I got a while back.  A cup of coffee & a back rub--add a good book & this is paradise!



Didn't know this existed, but apparently it's been around since 1983.  I think this is particularly clever, adding the feet to the familiar ichthys symbol ("Jesus fish"), a pop culture symbol of Christianity, often parodied.  There are actually counter-symbols to this one, an admittedly funny one being a bigger fish eating this one above.  A bit over the top, no?  I think the one pictured is very clever.  I wish it was on more cars, at least to balance things out, because I see enough of the original fish logo to render it tacky.



This sentence uses all letters of the alphabet at least once (go ahead & check) which is called a pangram.  It originates from 1885 & is used as a standard line in typography to see what various fonts look like.  An interesting history.



A clever bookmark courtesy of Bookworms Anonymous.  I think anyone reading this blog qualifies :oD

Photo hosted by mbluedorn9
This cute little guy must be reading War & Peace (LOL!)



Lastly, I got this one in a forward today: Famous People Painting.  You can scroll over it to identify each figure & also any props around them.  How many can you identify?  There's also a list with comparisons of painting vs. photo.  There are several Chinese figures from history that may not be recognizable to most, but there should be at least a handful of familiar faces.  This reminds me of the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album cover, only it's even more involved!

That's quite a lot of randomness for now :oD  I've seriously been neglecting my current read, replacing it with book blog surfing, which I hear around the world wide grapevine is not uncommon.

I'm up to 9 followers now...all right!  Thanks for your comments :o)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting my bookmark! I make about 20 different ones and I'll be featuring a few more on upcoming blogs.

    Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete