Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Monday, September 20, 2010

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


A Monday meme hosted by Sheila @ One Person's Journey Through a World of Books.

Total books read this week (finished):  1
Total read this week (any/all):  2



Finished & posted review for Never Have Your Dog Stuffed by Alan Alda.



I'm about 32 pages into Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen and am finding it very prim and proper.  Not sure whether to be charmed by the fluffiness of planning balls and the business of finding husbands for the five Bennet daughters, or bored by the fact that this seems to be all that the book is about.  Also, is it just me or does the book come across as satirical?  It seems funny to me that Austen can take all this so seriously as to render it vitally important...how did you like my attempt at writing in Austenese?  :oD

I'm going to plow through P&P, return bit by bit to My Life by Bill Clinton, and possibly start Atonement by Ian McEwan.  I'm also not going to resist temptation to step into a newly found used bookstore in the shopping district.  Wish me luck to not leave with any less than 20 books :oD

What are your reading plans this week?

8 comments:

  1. Good luck avoiding the used bookstore! I'm not sure I'd have enough will power! I hope you enjoy the books you're reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two great reads! I bet the Alan Alda book is hilarious - I would like to read that one. Have an awesome week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pride and Prejudice is a book that got better each time I read it and now I love it! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband has wanted Alan Alda's book for quite awhile and I read Pride and Prejudice as required reading in high school and remember loving it at the time, but reading it today as I am in a totally different time and place may change my opinion. I know both my daughters have read it, one loved it and the other one hated it.

    Dollycas
    http://dollycas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Austen's work is definitely satirical. It's gentle and light satire, of course - not the sledge-hammer stuff we're used to these days. But if you ignore the humor in Austen's work, you won't enjoy it nearly as much.

    That said, I found P&P deadly boring the first time I read it. Then tried it a second time many years later and fell in love with it. So I guess sometimes you just have to wait for the right moment for a book to grab you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. G.T.~ Thanks! I would think 1-2 books a week is a "slump" for a book blogger, but I'm a slow reader :oD

    Julie~ NO WAY that was going to happen :oD

    Sheila & Lori~ I recommend Alan Alda's book if you're a fan--it's quite funny!

    Nise' & Joy~ I like a fluffy book as much as the next person & I hope P&P comes through for me. It's "just okay" for me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for dropping by my blog! I just have to point out that P&P is SUPPOSED to be satirical. Oh, wait, that was your point! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love both of those books. Hilarious in totally different ways.

    ReplyDelete