Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Friday Fuhgettaboutit

Sorry it's a day late, but I've been meaning to post this...

Friday Fuhgettaboutit is a meme of my own creation on occasional Fridays to discuss a book I've given up on in the past or present.



She's Come Undone- Wally Lamb

I know this is some people's favourite book and for this, I apologize.  I tried to like this.  I really did.  I had heard good things about the book and it was an Oprah’s book club choice, so I took a chance on it.  I heard that Wally Lamb’s work can be like a love/hate relationship.  I read up to the end of Part 1 (of 3) and while I found a couple of choice scenes amazing, it took me a while to get used to the style and wasn’t all that impressed to be honest.  There is so much buildup to the predictable end of Part I that I thought everything else was just an excuse to get to this turning point.  The theme is typical of Oprah’s book club selections.  I think Tori Morrison writes equally challenging but stronger stories of marginalized women.

I'd like to know if anyone felt the same (just I don't feel alone in this!), or if you did stick with it and/or like it, is it worth plowing through?  I still have a copy tucked away somewhere and remember enough of Part I to not have to reread it...It's something I debate every once in a while and I'd like to know what you think.

Rate:  (D)- Did Not Finish, Don't Recommend (at the moment)

1 comment:

  1. I read this one ages ago. I remember liking it but not loving it. I liked his other book better.. I Know This Much is True. It was hefty and quite the chunkster but very good (if I recall). I read that ages ago too!

    ReplyDelete