Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Friday, January 14, 2011

Friday Blog Hop

A weekly meme hosted by Jennifer @ Crazy For Books.

This week's question is from Barb @ Sugarbeat's Books:

Why do you read the genre that you do?  What draws you to it?

I love reading a variety of genres because it makes my mind work in different ways and there are countless possibilities for stories & subjects when you keep an open mind to what you read.  With adult/general fiction, I'm drawn to the marriage between relatable or ordinary characters to extraordinary circumstances or situations that change a character from what he/she was in the beginning to carrying even a small amount of change or additional experience in themselves by the end.  In general nonfiction, I am drawn to the in-depth exploration of a topic, not necessarily to the point of exhaustion but to developing a new sense of the subject and a willingness to adopt a different frame of mind on the topic or to renew a lost feeling or piece of knowledge that got lost in the hubbub of daily life.

I'd be curious to hear how more specific genres that you read draw you in.  A great discussion topic this week, as usual :)

11 comments:

  1. What you wrote here made me think about why I like reading, in general ---- and wish I had expressed my answer this week half as well as you did. :) I tend to read just about everything, whether for escapism or education (or both). Happy Hopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great answer...am gong to try to keep that perspective in mind when reading future books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely answer! It's true that any genre can be satisfying. I try not to get too wedded to my historical fiction rut. But I can't help it. I know what I like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's what is so great about books! You can use them to escape from reality or to immerse yourself in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great answer! I read a wide variety of genres for reasons I never really thought about but wish I could put in words as well as you have here. I enjoy reading, I find it relaxing, entertaining, informative, fun, enriching. Escapism is my friend. I love the journey to other lands, times, ideas......

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the focus of nonfiction also. I'm reading Susan Casey's The Wave right now and am really enjoying it. When I finish a book like that, it makes me feel like a mini-expert (even though I know I'm not).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just hopping by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    Reading Lark's Hop Post

    P.S. - I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopping by.... so many these days it takes more than one day to get round :)

    Great question.....Historical Fiction is the one that really draws me in.I love history, so when an author takes factual events and weaves a story around them I love it.

    carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hopping through. I like reading YA because I enjoy how hopeful the books tend to be. So many possibilities.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, it's definitely an interesting discussion topic! I read a wide variety too, feeling that I get something different out of just about everything I read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm...genre's, how about authors? Some faves include John Connolly, Jonathan Maberry, Rachel Caine, Michael Connelly, Ann Aguirre, Chris Marie Green, Sonya Bateman...and the list goes on! New follower! Stop by and say hi if you get a chance!
    Have a great week!
    Kristin
    MyBookishWays

    ReplyDelete