Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Monday, January 31, 2011

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?


A weekly meme hosted by Sheila @ One Person's Journey Through a World of Books.

I've devoted my week to one book (A Prayer For Owen Meany) & finished it yesterday.  I have lots to write about, so I can't wait to get to the review!

I skipped participating in the Book Hop on Friday but did visit several blogs.  I just did not know what to write about books I'm anticipating in 2011.  Turns out I wasn't alone--many bloggers I follow posted that they were more invested in their TBR shelves or list.  I'm more of a wait & see reader when it comes to newly published books.  I read the reviews, look for book bloggers' reviews, and turn up my ear to general word of mouth.  But if any of my fave authors publish something new this year, I won't hesitate to read it right away :)  So there you have it...

Books Read This Week (1)
Cloris: My Autobiography- Cloris Leachman
A Prayer For Owen Meany- John Irving (review coming soon)

Currently Reading (2)
Wonder Boys- Michael Chabon--loved the movie & am liking the novel so far
My Life- Bill Clinton--dipping into it now & again, not in a hurry to finish

Next to Read
Rabbit, Run by John Updike--for 1st in a Series Challenge; also has been a book of interest for a long time
Either The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis (for 1st in a Series Challenge) or The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (for Back to the Classics Challenge).

Other Reviews Written This Week
None :(

Bloggy Things
~ Participated in a new meme:  Wonderful Wednesdays
~ Switched up two books in Back to the Classics Challenge reading list (here's why)
~ Monthly Wrap-Up post for January coming soon

7 comments:

  1. Oh, it's been years since I read The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe... I'm sure I still have the book somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great books there! I haven't heard of Wonderful Wednesdays (but then, as you say, it's new). I'll go and have a look. :-)

    I did a wrap up post for January already -go have a look if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Prayer for Owen Meany is my favourite book that that author. I can't wait to read your review.

    Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Choose The Kite Runner, it is wonderful. Have a fabulous week reading. My Monday: http://www.rundpinne.com/2011/01/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-24.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Rabbit Run is a blast from the past for me. I remember the summer I was reading it and other Updike books (1970).

    Wonder Boys is a movie I enjoyed as well, so I should really read this one. I enjoy books (and movies) about writers.

    Here's my MAILBOX/READING

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all your comments :)

    Nikki-Ann~ I've actually never read it but it's a classic I really need to get to!

    Leeswammes~ It's a great new meme. Hope you'll join in!

    Stephanie~ It was an enjoyable but very deep, sometimes disturbing book to me. Many cite it as one of their favourites. I preferred Garp but it was well worth reading.

    Jennifer~ Thanks for the suggestion. Suzanne @ Bibliosue told me the same thing :)

    Laurel-Rain Snow~ I'm really enjoying Wonder Boys so far. It's very much like the film. Updike has fascinated me for so long that I thought I'd try his Rabbit series. I'm all about "blast from the past" books :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a book I have been wanting to read. I had it from the library last fall for Banned Books Week - but did not get a chance to read it.

    Hope you join the Monday What Are You Reading this week as well - this is a special anniversary addition that I am very excited about! :)

    ReplyDelete