Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Friday, October 15, 2010

Book Blog Hop!

Happy Friday!

A weekly meme hosted by Jennifer @ Crazy For Books.

This week's question is from Christina @ The Paperback Princesses.

When you read a book that you can't get into, do you stick it out and keep reading or move to your next title?

I try to stick with it for at least 50 pages, then if it's not working out, I give up and move on.  In some cases, when I'm on the fence about continuing to read a book (case in recent point:  Freedom by Jonathan Franzen), I aim to finish about 1/3 of the book and then judge whether or not it's worth continuing.

12 comments:

  1. Hopping by to visit and follow. Good policy! I try to give a book 50 or so pages to win me over, but I think by the time you're 1/3rd through, you pretty much know how the rest of the story will feel. :-)

    -Tiger

    http://tigersallconsumingbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dropping by via the Friday hops. :) I am also your newest follower. If you have the time, drop by Clandestine Sanctuary.

    xoxo. Greyz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try so hard to finish, but some I just can't finish. Some people have suggested that it has to do with timing and that may be right. I am not sure. Maybe you need to read something light when you're reading a drama. So, I might start setting those aside and go back. After a second time, and I still don't like it, forget it. There are just too many good books out there to read a bad one!

    Heather
    Buried in Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. Freedom sounded so good to me! :-) But I'll take your word for it and proceed with caution.

    From what you say about the Amazon ratings, it sounds like it's a love/hate type book.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I usually try for about 100 pages-I agree with moving on-so many books so little time.(new follower)Congrats on becoming a teacher- What grade do you teach?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I usually try for about 100 pages. I agree with moving on- so many books-so little time.(new follower)
    Congrats on becoming a teacher-what grade do you teach?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for hopping by & for all your comments!

    leeswames~ I also thought Freedom sounded good but as you said, it seems to be a love it or hate it type of book. If you try it, I hope you like it better than I did.

    Book Soulmates~ I completely agree! How else can we find new favourites when we waste time on material we finish just for the sake of it?

    Library Gal~ I'm an elementary substitute teacher now, so anywhere from K-8. I'm still seeeking my own classroom :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Back for another visit...love the colors...

    Hopping by...stop by my blog to see my answer to this week's question.

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Returning your hop visit.. I love the look and feel of your blog, and am now your newest follower!

    I think getting 1/3 of the way into the book is fair shot. Though I have one book in my pile that I am 1 chapter in, and am trying to decide if I really want to give it another shot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tend to give books 100 pages before putting them down forever. The only book I didn't do that to was one that had no punctuation. I got about 10 pages in and said "NO!" :)

    New follower here

    Check out my Blogger Hop and Follow Friday HERE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you read Franzen's other book, The Corrections? That one went around my book club and we all enjoyed it. Loved the quirky characters. I think someone has Freedom now and it might be circulating through our group--I'll try to remember to let you know if we like it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jan~ Yes, I read The Corrections at univ. Click the title for the short review. Finished it, but was on the fence about it.

    Hope you & your book club have a better time with Freedom than I did.

    ReplyDelete