Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Monday, October 18, 2010

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


A weekly meme hosted by Sheila @ One Person's Journey Through a World of Books.

Ugh...sorry this comes late today.  A tiring day of work and a lot of new government docs coming through to keep up on for possible winter job interviews.

Finished Reading
Freedom- Jonathan Franzen--gave up on it after 200 pages.  Just not worth finishing for me.  Click title for review.

Currently Reading
Pride & Prejudice- Jane Austen--up to page 126.  It's getting good now!  It took about 100 pages for me to warm up to it, but since *SPOILER ALERT* Charlotte married Mr. Collins, the conversations between characters are much more juicy :oD

Her Fearful Symmetry- Audrey Niffenegger--up to page 25.  Once I finish P&P, I'll be into this one full throttle!  The language is so rich and the story sounds terrifically mysterious.  I have a very good feeling about it :o)

Love, Stargirl- Jerry Spinelli--up to page 51--Haven't touched it this week.

My Life- Bill Clinton- up to page 244.  Have set aside for now.


New Reviews This Week
James Patterson book reviews--every book of his I've read is briefly reviewed & ranked

What are you reading this week?  Anything you've finished and want to rave about? :oD

Have a great reading week!

8 comments:

  1. I have Her Fearful Symmetry on my Kindle. Have read some good reviews lately, but am resisting until I get the library pile under control!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This week I hope to finish The Duff and Crescendo.
    I loved the book StarGirl but didn't read the second one- did you read the first?

    I've given you a blog award- you can check it out on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't love The Corrections, so I haven't been too excited about Freedom. I think I may skip it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only read one book at a time--I couldn't imagine reading more than that. I have Her Fearful Symmetry on my TBR shelf, but I didn't care much for The Time Traveler's Wife, so I may wait a while to pick it up....

    Hope you have a good week (and I work for the federal gov't so I totally understand about all of the documents!)....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was curious about that book Freedom. Wasn't sure if it was a fit for me and I guess I still am not sure it is. :) Have a super week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've now finished Her Fearful Symmetry, review planned for Saturday. I found the first half brilliant, but the plans that Valentina and Elspeth have are awful! I still liked the story, but I didn't approve of it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all of your comments!

    Kylie~ I'm enjoying it so far. It takes me back into the style of The Time Traveler's Wife. Hope I like it just as much :o)

    LibraryGal~ Yes, I loved the first Stargirl book! It was such an amazing read about acceptance and judgment. I'm not quite into the 2nd one as much, but I'll likely finish it.

    bermudaonion~ That would be my opinion. Freedom seems to be a love/hate book.

    JulieP~ I usually read one book at a time, too, but lately I've been skipping back & forth depending on my mood. Must be because I'm anxious to blog about so many books :oD

    Sheila~ Well, if you liked The Corrections, I would suggest trying it, but if you were on the fence, didn't like it, or haven't read it, I wouldn't recommend it.

    leeswammes~ Interesting...I've heard similar takes on the last half of the book. We'll have to wait & see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. LibraryGal, thank you so much for the award! My first...so proud :o)

    ReplyDelete