Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Monday, October 11, 2010

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


A weekly meme hosted by Sheila @ One Persons's Journey Through a World of Books.




Had a gobble-gobble good (couldn't resist, LOL!) Thanksgiving and have about 2-3 days of leftovers.  Mmm...turkey for breakfast :oD

Finished Reading
Under the Dome- Stephen King (click title for review)

Currently Reading
Pride & Prejudice- Jane Austen--up to page 82--I've discovered that I enjoy this book best in short stints rather than long ones.  I can read a couple of chapters at a time but can't take it much longer than that without wanting to scream "Do something!"

Freedom- Jonathan Franzen--up to page 97--not bad so far, but like The Corrections, I'm struggling to empathize with any character, but like his wry, tongue-in-cheek style.

Love, Stargirl- Jerry Spinelli--up to page 51--I tossed this in my teaching travel bag & had a spare period to start it.  It's a breezy read in diary form, but doesn't quite have the spark that Stargirl had.

My Life- Bill Clinton- up to page 244.  Have set aside until the nonfiction kick comes back :o)


Up Next
Her Fearful Symmetry- Audrey Niffenegger--I'll start this after Freedom--looking forward to it!


New Reviews This Week
(Actually, last week, which I forgot to list)
Woody Allen & Philosophy- eds. Mark T. Conrad & Aeon J. Skoble
Ghosts of Mississippi- Maryanne Vollers
Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code- Dan Brown

What have you finished this week?  What are you starting this week?

Have a great reading week :o)

10 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to you! I enjoyed Her Fearful Symmetry, hope you do as well. My brother did not like Freedom, so I am not sure if I will even begin it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wondering about Freedom, because I wasn't crazy about The Corrections either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been curious about Freedom. I have seen it around. I look forward to your review.

    I think Linky is working now so I will link your post for you. Thanks for joining! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you enjoy your books, especially Her Fearful Symmetry, I've heard good things about that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving!

    You're about 75 pages farther along than where I gave up on Freedom. I couldn't feel for any of the characters either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all your comments :o)

    I got up to page 148 of Freedom so far today. It's an uphill read, I must admit, but I am liking it a bit more than The Corrections. Not sure if it will get better than a C rating unless it really turns around. Somewhat disappointing for the $35 hardcover cost. Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to what you think of Her Fearful Symmetry. It's sitting on my kindle waiting for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!
    All good titles, never been a fan of Frazen, but am reading a bunch of reviews before I make my final decision to purchase or not.

    Dollycas
    http://dollycas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still haven't read Under The Dome, I'm a bit of a Stephen King fan so will check out your review. Have a great week and happy reading.

    PS Slugger was a good read, sweet and sad but the writing was not quite to the standard of Marley and Me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Thanksgiving to you. Can't wait for ours, love that stuff!!
    I can never read more than one book at a time!! How do you do it? I get so confused:)

    ReplyDelete