Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Top Ten Tuesday


A weekly meme hosted by Jamie @ The Broke & the Bookish.

This week's topic is:

Top Ten Books I'll Never Read

Disclaimer:  I do not intend to offend or intetionally rip apart anyone's favourite book.  Please understand it's only my opinion.

This is a tough one as it's hard to deny reading a book unless it goes against all my convictions.  I'm more inclined to try a book and give up if it's not connecting with me.

1)  Twilight series--well...maybe the 1st one, which my mom has actually read before me :oD  I'm not into vampires and werewolves.  Seeing the 1st movie was just enough, thanks.

2)  Harlequin romance--I like romance that is built into a good story, not manipulated into a deliberate genre.

3)  Sleazy tell-alls--Any pseudo-celebrities who can barely write apply.  I like memoirs & autobiographies, but only of people I respect and admire.  Why bother otherwise?

4)  Self-help books--I think they all blend together and only repeat the same mantras.  The best self-help reading is a good work of fiction :o)

5)  Religious books--I respect the right to freedom of religion, and equally respect the right to pass.

For the last 5, I'm going to list books or authors that I won't read again.

6)  Jonathan Franzen--I read The Corrections and am reading Freedom.  I've had enough.

7)  Heart of Darkness- Joseph Conrad--Found it nearly unbearable.

8)  James Patterson--I've read many of his Alex Cross & Women's Murder Club books, but he's definitely peaked & ebbed for me.  His latest just doesn't seem to stand up to his earlier work.

9)  Lauren Weisberger--I liked The Devil Wears Prada but I'm just not that inspired to read more by her.

10)  A Million Little Pieces- James Frey- or anything else by this author.  Not because he lied about how little truth there was in his "memoir," but I wasn't fond of his writing style.

Post a comment & link to your list!


9 comments:

  1. Great list! And thank you for #6. I read The Corrections and couldn't stand it. Now with all the hullabaloo about Freedom, I'm just not on the Franzen train.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of curiosity, why don't you like Franzen?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I have Freedom but I think I might wait a while until all the fuss has died down about how he's greatest novelist ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog. This is a great list! I'm not a big fan of Franzen either. He just comes off as pretentious to me. And self help books are the worst. They all say the same thing over and over again, and I don't really think that they have that much good advice. They're just a bunch of platitudes.
    You have a wonderful blog. Count me as a new follower. :)

    Emily @ Reading While Female

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was trying to come up with a memoir of a celebrity that has been in the limelight for a year or so to add to my list of books I'll never read. I did go a little political on my list and then while i was at it, I kept going. Take your disclaimer and apply it to my list. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comments :o)

    IngridLola~ I have my limits with his writing style. It's interesting but like Emily commented, he can be pretentious. I also can't relate or empathize with any characters.

    Emily~ Thanks for following! I've been enjoying your blog, too :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another one with Heart of Darkness on a list! :D We have a few similarities. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, your list could be my list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing the Twilight books show up on these lists. With all the hype, I thought I was the only person in the world who wasn't going to read these things.

    Great list! Here's mine: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2010/10/top-ten-tuesday-books-ill-never-read.html

    ReplyDelete