A weekly meme hosted by Jamie @ The Broke & the Bookish.
This week's topic is:
Top Ten Books I'll Never Read
Disclaimer: I do not intend to offend or intetionally rip apart anyone's favourite book. Please understand it's only my opinion.
This is a tough one as it's hard to deny reading a book unless it goes against all my convictions. I'm more inclined to try a book and give up if it's not connecting with me.
1) Twilight series--well...maybe the 1st one, which my mom has actually read before me :oD I'm not into vampires and werewolves. Seeing the 1st movie was just enough, thanks.
2) Harlequin romance--I like romance that is built into a good story, not manipulated into a deliberate genre.
3) Sleazy tell-alls--Any pseudo-celebrities who can barely write apply. I like memoirs & autobiographies, but only of people I respect and admire. Why bother otherwise?
4) Self-help books--I think they all blend together and only repeat the same mantras. The best self-help reading is a good work of fiction :o)
5) Religious books--I respect the right to freedom of religion, and equally respect the right to pass.
For the last 5, I'm going to list books or authors that I won't read again.
6) Jonathan Franzen--I read The Corrections and am reading Freedom. I've had enough.
7) Heart of Darkness- Joseph Conrad--Found it nearly unbearable.
8) James Patterson--I've read many of his Alex Cross & Women's Murder Club books, but he's definitely peaked & ebbed for me. His latest just doesn't seem to stand up to his earlier work.
9) Lauren Weisberger--I liked The Devil Wears Prada but I'm just not that inspired to read more by her.
10) A Million Little Pieces- James Frey- or anything else by this author. Not because he lied about how little truth there was in his "memoir," but I wasn't fond of his writing style.
Post a comment & link to your list!