Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Top Ten Tuesday



A weekly meme from Stephany @ The Broke & the Bookish.


This week's topic:  Top Ten Authors

To quote Dwight Schroote from The Office (one of my favourite TV shows), "Question..."

How many books do you need to have read by an author in order to count him/her as a favourite?  I love some authors but have only read a couple of their books.  Hmm...*think, think, think* (Winnie the Pooh).

Another point is that I read eclectically and don't tend to zap through every single work by one author, except the very popular ones like Stephen King, John Grisham & James Patterson :o)  So, with that being said...typed, I mean...in no particular order:


1)  Stephen King--have read most of his biggies; the most addictive writer!  My favourites are Carrie, The Shining, and Different Seasons.

2)  Margaret Laurence--love The Diviners and The Stone Angel; want to read everything she's written!

3)  Jane Hamilton--A Map of the World and The Book of Ruth--will read anything new of hers.

4)  Anna Quindlen--One True Thing--really need to read more of her but she is in a class all her own

5)  Julian Barnes--Flaubert's Parrot--will read anything new of his & maybe some older ones if I get to them!

6)  John Grisham--wiped out all his legal-themed novels in high school & university; I'll be reviewing them soon.  My favourite is definitely The Firm, but I also loved A Time to Kill, The Pelican Brief, and The Brethren.

7)  James Patterson--have read almost all his Alex Cross books & most of his Women's Murder Club books--I think he's past his prime, so I haven't read his recent work--my favourites are Along Came a Spider, Kiss the Girls and Violets Are Blue.

8)  Nick Hornby--High Fidelity & About a Boy--love his humour!

9)  Ken Kesey--One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

10)  Sue Grafton--A is For Alibi--I love the first book of the Kinsey Millhone series & want to read them all!

Just a short & sweet list for today. I have the afternoon off & need to tackle the last 300 or so pages of Under the Dome once & for all :oD

9 comments:

  1. I just finished a Stephen King novel, "Christine". I haven't read many King works (just 3) but it stands a good shot of being my favorite.

    Grisham's on my list, too, but I'm afraid I don't recognize anyone else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Nick Hornby on my list too!
    I agree that it's difficult to determine a favorite author -- I have some that I buy everything they publish in hardcover, others I've just really enjoyed whatever I've read by them.

    I just picked up a few Margaret Laurence titles last time I was up in Winnipeg (my hometown) because shamefully I have not read any of her books and I need to remedy that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Nick Hornby on my list too! And I have two Margaret Laurence books on my to-read pile (I'm ashamed to admit that this Canadian girl has not read her before)

    I agree that it's difficult to determine what makes an author a favorite. I have some favorites where I will purchase everything they publish in hardcover; others I don't always buy their books but I always enjoy reading what they have written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another list where I haven't read any of the authors on it! :D Just goes to show how eclectic the world of publishing and books is, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely agree with you on Julian Barnes! I read several of Grafton's series, but got burned out after a while....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all your comments :o)

    smellincoffee~ Christine is TBR for me. I hope it was good.

    Suzanne~ I didn't read Margaret Laurence until The Diviners was on a course reading list for me. It's a chunker (around 500 or so pages) but it's the best introduction to her work!

    Sarah~ Glad I could introduce some great authors to you :o)

    Bev~ I loved Flaubert's Parrot. It's rare to read something so unique. Series sometimes burn me out, too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, I forgot to add Anna Quindlen which makes me remember that I also forgot Annie Lamont. Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A pleasingly unpredictable (therefore believable;)list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to make a list! Thanks for the nudge.

    ReplyDelete