Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Sunday, November 28, 2010

1st in a Series Reading Challenge


I can't seem to help myself...I'm crazy about new challenges for 2011!  I'm really not sure where to stop but if I can overlap some, I'm all the better for them :)

The 1st in a Series Challenge is hosted at A Few More Pages.  Click here to sign up.  Here is the breakdown:

1. Anyone can join. You don't need a blog to participate. If you're not a blogger, leave your information in the comments.

2. There are four levels for this challenge:

Series Novice: Read 3 books that are the first in any series.
Series Lover: Read 6 books that are the first in any series.
Series Expert: Read 12 books that are the first in any series.
Series Fanatic: Read 20 books that are the first in any series.

You can list your books in advance or just put them in a wrap up post. If you list them, feel free to change them as the mood takes you. Any genre counts.

3. The challenge runs from January 1 through December 31, 2011.

4. You can join anytime between now and December 31, 2011.

5. If you're a blogger, write up a sign-up post that includes the URL to this post so that others can join in. Feel free to use the button above.

Currently, I am aiming for Series Lover but may bump it up during the challenge (if that's allowed--it probably is).  Too bad I've already started The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, so that wouldn't count :(  Here is a tentative list of first books in a series I'd like to try:

The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum

The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis (Chronicles of Narnia series)

Rabbit, Run by John Updike

A is For Alibi by Sue Grafton (Kinsey Millhone series--this is a re-read)

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer--I'll borrow my mom's copy :D

The Gunslinger by Stephen King (Dark Tower series)


Here's a B-list of potential choices to bump up my challenge level, but aren't top priorities for me yet:
 
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle
Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Eragon by Christopher Paolini
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
Dr. No by Ian Fleming (James Bond series)
My Man Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
The Black Echo by Michael Connelly (Harry Bosch series)
No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith--this is probably going to bump it up!
Postmortem by Patricia Cornwell (Kay Scarpetta series)
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

If anyone's joining this challenge, feel free to share some ideas :)

No comments:

Post a Comment