Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Top 10 Holiday Books


A weekly meme hosted @ The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's topic is:

Top 10 Holiday Books

1)  The Night Before Christmas- Clement Clarke Moore
I always enjoyed reading this on Xmas Eve before going to bed.  It brings out the Xmas spirit in everyone.

2)  How the Grinch Stole Christmas- Dr. Seuss
It really turns the holiday on its head with a great message about redemption, overconsumption, and how to melt someone's heart with kindness.  The 1966 animated movie is enjoyable, practically a carbon copy of the book.

3)  A Christmas Carol- Charles Dickens
I had a pocket-sized children's edition of this story & was pretty freaked out by the ghosts, but it's a great message.

...Wow, this is a tough topic :/  I'm usually so caught up with planning for the big day, that I don't read many holiday-themed books (just my regular reading material).  Since Christmas movies tend to be more my fortee this time of year, here's some favourites:

4)  National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
The funniest movie ever!  My family & I watch this every Xmas Eve, and have for a decade (ever since I was old enough to watch it).

5)  It's a Wonderful Life
Classic tearjerker that never fails to bring your hopes up.

6)  Edward Scissorhands
You're probably wondering how this ties into the holidays, but the scene with Edward carving the ice sculpture is just magical.

7)  The Polar Express
The book has amazing illustrations, and the movie has impressive animation with toe-tapping music.

8)  Christmas Eve on Sesame Street
This is a hilarious SS special that I used to watch every year.  The music is great and Cookie Monster (my fave Muppet) has many funny bits.  Here's a sampling from YouTube:



9)  Babe
This is a good movie for Thanksgiving as well.  The mice always make me laugh :D

10)  The Family Stone
The latest edition to my Xmas movie bonanza.  It's such crazy fun with some tearjerker moments as well.  The cast was fantastic!

10 comments:

  1. I have tons and tons of Christmas books that I read. Here is my list of Top Ten Books to Read During the Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy a lot of holiday DVDs too. I didn't have any trouble thinking of ten holiday books but that probably reflects my family's habit of reading aloud during the holidays. I also added the first line of the books to give others an idea of what the tone of the books are.
    -Anne
    http://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Night Before Christmas is a favorite of mine -- my dad used to read it to us every Xmas Eve and the old tattered copy he used is now with my brother to read to his kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED The Family Stone! Man, I'm missing out as I've never read A Christmas Carol! I need to do this for sure!

    My list:

    http://perpetualpageturner.blogspot.com/2010/11/top-ten-tuesday-christmas-edition.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great list! I almost switched to TV and movies, too, but I figured it out with book - love the Cookie Monster!!

    -Linds, bibliophile brouhaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot "twas the night before Christmas." That should definitely be on my list! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a huge fan of The Family Stone too! That and Love Actually have become new holiday favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought this was a bit of a tough topic too! It's fun to see the different ways people got creative with their lists.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Christmas Carol will be my next read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good choices! I'm not sure I could come up with 10 Christmas-themed books either!

    ReplyDelete