Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Friday, November 12, 2010

Friday Memes


A weekly meme hosted by Jennifer @ Crazy For Books.

This week's topic is from Christina @ All About YA Books:

If you find a book that looks interesting but is part of a series, do you always start with the first title?

Great question!   Usually I do.  It's that type-A part of myself that needs to see things unfold from the very beginning.  I started the Alex Cross and Women's Murder Club books by James Patterson from #1 on.  The only series I didn't start from the beginning was The Babysitters Club.  When I was 7, I received a current book from it and that got me interested in reading them all (which I did!).  So, it goes to show that it's not necessary to start a series from book #1, but if I'm shopping for the series, I'll start with #1.



A weekly meme hosted by Janet @ Friday Fill-Ins.

My fill-ins are underlined; the rest are given:

1. When pigs fly I'll win the lottery :)

2. You expect me to take that seriously?!

3. Call me *call me any day or night, call me* (Blondie).

4. Nod if you know what I mean.  (How lame...sorry, I blanked on this one!)

5. The most entertaining person in my life is my dad because he is the best storyteller & joke-teller in the family.

*SPOILER*
6. Moira "escaped" Gilead, making me wonder who's next?

7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to seeing family, tomorrow my plans include sadly, a funeral and Sunday, I want to finish The Handmaid's Tale and watch Desperate Housewives!


50th Follower Giveaway!

Challenge/giveaway is open until tomorrow at 1 p.m. EST.  Click here for more details.

Have a great weekend everyone :)

13 comments:

  1. It's hard to imagine not reading a series in order in less it's by accident!
    Sounds like a difficult weekend; I hope having family around helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I remember the Babysitters Club! I loved those when I was a pre-teen, along with Point Horror, Goosebumps and Sweet Valley High - none of which I read in order, just according to what was at the library at that time.

    Sam
    http://tinylibrary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am enjoying hyour blog and have an award for you on my blog.

    enjoy ur weekend
    carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny - I think the Babysitters Club was the one series I didn't read in order either! Well, maybe that and the Sweet Valley series. Wonder what I missed?

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog, hopping back to return the favour! Hope you have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks very much for stopping by my blog and following. I am following you back! We read simialr books by the the look of things and I can't wait to read some of your reviews.

    Hope you have a very good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopped by from the Hop. New follower! I always read books in series order...call me obsessive?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello fellow blogger! just wanted to show some *love* and say you have a wonderful blog here. I just recently started a book blog myself and would love if you return the favor and become a follower. Happy Blogging!


    pruesbookblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for hopping by everyone & welcome new followers Mel, joemmama & vampgirlx90 :D

    Susan~ Thank you, I appreciate the sentiment.

    Sam~ I was addicted to the BSC series from age 7 straight into my teens! Such fun :)

    DizzyC~ Thank you so much! I've posted the award with pride :D

    Howard~ I agree that if series books stand alone, you can certainly read them out of order, no problem. Some authors make series books individualized with enough backstory to feel like you haven't missed anything. Good point.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!
    I completely agree with you about series. Haha yeah, mums are brilliant :D

    Happy reading- I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello dear. Thanks for stopping by. You have a lovely blog and I'm going to to follow you. Keep it shiny!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hopping by from the Blog Hop.

    Stop by my blog if you like to see my answer to this week's question.

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    Happy Hopping.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to always start with the first book in a series, but not so much lately. Sometimes I find it disconcerting, but most of the time it works out just fine--so many of the series I read are crime fiction books and they tend to stand alone well on their own.

    I hope pigs do fly soon so you'll win the lottery! And maybe me too . . .

    I'm sorry about the funeral. Not a good way to spend a weekend. I do hope you have a better week!

    ReplyDelete