A weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
This week's topic is:
Top 10 Most Unfortunate Character Names
1) Cushie & Pooh Percy- The World According to Garp- John Irving
And you thought Garp was an odd name...
2) Morag Gunn- The Diviners- Margaret Laurence
3) Hagar Shipley- The Stone Angel- Margaret Laurence
The first always makes me think of a dishtowel. The second would bring an unfortunate nickname.
4) Offred- The Handmaid's Tale- Margaret AtwoodThe protagonist from a scary set of women's names with "of" __ (fill in male name).
5) Piggy- The Lord of the Flies- William Goldman
6) Mongo- Push- Sapphire (adapted into the movie Precious)
Precious's daughter with Down Syndrome. This name is sad and shocked me to hear.
7) Dill- To Kill a Mockingbird- Harper Lee
Mind you, this is a nickname but do you really want to be thought of as a pickle? :D
8) Milkman, First Corinthians & Pilate Dead- Song of Solomon- Toni Morrison
Milkman is a nickname, the other two are randomly chosen Biblical names, and the last name is just eerie.
9) Hamm, Clov & Nagg- Endgame- Samuel Beckett
Deliberately satirical, of course, in Theatre of the Absurd style.
10) prot- K-PAX- Gene Brewer
Rhymes with "goat." Purposely not capitalized. Still strange.
A weekly meme hosted by MizB @ Should Be Reading.
•Grab your current read
•Open to a random page
•Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
•BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
•Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
"Down past the fisheye on the hall wall, I can see my white shape, of tented body, hair down my back like a mane, my eyes gleaming. I like this. I am doing something, on my own."
The Handmaid's Tale- Margaret Atwood