Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Choosing Books for Challenge- Please Vote!


I've been contemplating what books I will read for the 2011 Back to the Classics Challenge, hosted by Sarah @ Sarah Reads Too Much.  It sounds like fun but the daunting task will be choosing a book for each of 8 categories:

1)  A Banned Book
2)  A Book With a Wartime Setting (can be any war)
3)  A Pulitzer Prize (Fiction) Winner or Runner-Up
4)  A Children's/Young Adult Classic
5)  19th Century Classic
6)  20th Century Classic
7)  A Book You Think Should Be Considered a 21st Century Classic
8)  Re-Read a Book From Your High School/College Classes

I've created a top 5 list of books for each category (essentially, 40 books), which needs to be wittled down to 1 per category (8 books).  Starting today until December 21st, a poll for each category has been created & posted at right to decide which books I should read for this challenge.  Please vote!  I will read the books that receive the most votes.  In case of a tie or zero votes, I will decide for myself.  Thanks for your support :)

8 comments:

  1. I preferred Anna Karenina, but I voted for Dorian Gray in the 19th Century Classic category 'cause that's not too long.

    And you must MUST read The Kite Runner at some point even if not for this challenge.

    You gave us some difficult choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzanne~ Thanks for voting!
    Sarah~ I thought it might help me make up my mind what to read :)

    I'm not sure if the results are totaling up properly as Dorian Gray is sitting at 0 votes. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am considering joining this challenge so your list gave me some great ideas. I voted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As to Dorian Gray, I read that last year thinking I would like it as I do like spooky reads. I found it....dare I say this about a classic....boring.... It did pick up a little at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well...now each poll has 2 votes. Don't know what's happening but if you comment & say what title you voted for, I'll make it count if it's not up there. Next time, I'm using Blogger polls :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. For banned book i can suggest you Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. It is my personal favorite)

    You can read my article on this book here:
    http://bergamotbook.blogspot.com/2010/11/master-and-margarita-by-mikhail.html?showComment=1289072241881

    ReplyDelete