Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Friday, November 5, 2010

Literary Blog Hop


A new weekly meme hosted by The Blue Bookcase.

This week, it asks:

Please highlight one of your favorite books and why you would consider it "literary."

Wow, what a great idea!  I try to read literary fiction more than anything else because I feel that it has merit in the global reading community and gets me thinking about its value to my ongoing independent education as well as that of the world.

I understand the meaning of literary fiction as a concept, however it is certainly subjective in terms of what books "count."  Many of my favourite books are popular, which doesn't discount them as literary fiction, however they may not be considered art but merely entertainment.  There is certainly nothing wrong with that (you can see by my reviews & TBR lists that I have an eclectic taste)!



An example of literary fiction that is one of my favourite books is The World According to Garp by John Irving.  It is a modern classic, nearly 40 years old, and is written in such a fascinating style.  There is so much happening over a single character's life that you become absorbed in him as well as everyone he encounters.  Irving writes intelligently, uniquely, and personally, making his mark on the literary world distinctly his own.  I think a true sign of literary fiction is an author who cannot be mistaken for anyone else--you can read his/her work without a cover and know exactly who wrote it.

13 comments:

  1. Every time I try a work by John Irving I find myself putting it down before I finish. I've heard such great things about Garp, quit it years ago when he drove his car into the garage door, and I have A Prayer For Owen Meaney on my shelf which I've started twice. I want to get over this block, I really do. (Nice to meet you, from a fellow teacher and reader.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ve yet to read Irving keep meaning too at some point good choice thou know he is always high on lists of must read us books ,all the best stu

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started reading The World According to Garp and returned it to the library after 2 months-not because I didn't like it. School has been crazy and I felt like I wasn't appreciating the book enough while I read it. I was just too preoccupied with everything else. Plus I had to keep renewing it, and I ran out of "renewals" and it had to be returned.. As soon as the semester ends I will definitely start over and finish it!

    I love Irving's writing style (though I've only read about 150 pages by him!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Irving is not that far in my "TBR" list. I have never approached him yet, but you make me want to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only Irving book that I've read was Owen Meany...and that was one of the few books I've ever stopped reading on purpose. Owen just bugged me too much. That being said, I would definitely consider his writing to be literary.

    Have you read Owen Meany? If so, how do you think it compares to Garp?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard lots of good things about John Irving but have never actually read any of his work. Is this one the best place to start?

    I'm now following your blog. I'm a teacher too, but I teach primary school in the UK.

    Sam at Tiny Library

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only work of Irving's I have read is The Cider House Rules. Maybe I should try this one sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read Garp many years ago, and what I remember about it was being very irritated by the protag. Loved his mom though! Thanks for the link to this hop. Some great blogs over there!
    Susan from ReadingWorld.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy John Irving's novels, too, and remember reading Garp some 30(?) years ago. His latest, Last Night at Twisted River, is on my tbr list now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for joining our Hop! I have to say, I am definitely drawn to books that are written in a very unique style. Sounds like I'd love The World According to Garp.

    -Ingrid from The Blue Bookcase

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was Irving's Prayer for Owen Meany that left me reeling. Despised that book. Loathed it. And it had come highly recommended ("my favorite book") from a wonderful book friend.

    Not to deny the book's literary qualities....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all your comments :)

    I encourage you to try/finish Garp as it's such a unique book. For me, without exaggerating, it was a triumph!

    I haven't read Owen Meany yet but it's high up on my TBR list. Probably by Xmas, I'll have a copy :D

    I saw the movie Hotel New Hampshire, which was adapted from an Irving novel and was very strange but so unique, I may just try the novel version to see for myself.

    Thanks for hopping by :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, seems like John Irving brings out powerful responses. I, personally, loved both Garp and Owen Meany, and have a couple of his other books high on my TBR list. Love him or hate him, I don't think anyone can deny his literary-ness.

    ReplyDelete