Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Audacity of Hope- Barack Obama

Purchase:  Amazon | Chapters

Published:  2006
Length:  362 pages
ISBN:  0307237699
Genre:  Nonfiction, Political

Start Date:  Sometime in 2008-9
Finished Date:  Sometime in 2008-9

Where Found:  Chapters-Indigo
Why Read:  I originally bought this for my Dad for Xmas 2007 and after he read it, I took it on.

Summary:  A compelling manifesto of then-Senator Barack Obama with an historical and social democratic lens on issues such as health care, education, economy, and political leadership.

Review:

On the event of the midterm elections in the U.S., I feel compelled to offer this review. I am Canadian and cannot vote, however I encourage all Americans to register and execute their right to vote.

Prior to being elected to the Oval Office, Obama had a plan and this book is the best guide to his mission as President. It is a wise voter who wishes for the government to be run by individuals with more education, integrity, and enthusiasm than is found in the average person—in other words, a true leader comes from an extraordinary place.

Obama’s use of political science jargon may go over the heads of the general public, but the structure soon gels from Chapter 3 on, and coasts from there, creating excitement in his ideas on many hot-button issues. There is tremendous respect for his Presidential forefathers, a breadth of knowledge about political and cultural history, and a passion for strong leadership that resonates long after the last page.

Shortly after the book’s release, Obama announced his candidacy for President. You know the rest.

Rank:  (A)- Highly recommended

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this review. I have to admit, I'm in mourning. You state your case so well. When I went to vote on Tuesday I looked around at the crowd, largely white and my mother's age, and felt things were not going to go well...I enjoy getting the perspective of a neighbor to the north!

    ReplyDelete