Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Friday, November 26, 2010

Friday Memes

Happy Friday!


A weekly meme hosted by Jennifer @ Crazy For Books.

This week's question is from Sarah @ Writer, Reader, Dreamer:

What is your favourite book cover?

Love the question this week :)  This was once a Top 10 Tuesday topic (try saying that 5 times fast!).  It's hard to choose just one but I'm particularly fond of:


The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

This cover reminds me of childhood and brings out the anticipation & patience that Claire had for Henry.  On a related note, here is another great cover with shoes:




The shoes in both books aren't very significant, but in this cover, the red is symbolic of China, in which the novel is set during the Cultural Revolution.  I love the look of these shoes with the worn toes because it tells me that its wearer has gone a long way.


A weekly meme hosted by Janet @ Friday Fill-Ins.

My responses are underlined; the rest is given:

1.  Three things I must have on my Thanksgiving table:  Butterball turkey, my mom's stuffing, and pumpkin pie (I think the only way to eat it is with cream cheese filling!).

2.  After a tiring day at work, you'll find me sacked out on the couch.

3.  This is CNN (*in James Earl Jones's booming voice).

4.  During the 1st week of December, it's time to decorate the house & tree for Xmas.

5.  Oh, man, thankfully it's Friday!

6.  I would like to perfect the art of teaching.

7.  And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to diving into The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, tomorrow my plans include nothing in particular (whatever catches my fancy) and Sunday, I want to have a solid dent in my current read!
 
By the way, thank you for voting at right for my reading material for the Back to the Classics Challenge.  The polls are still open until December 21st.
 
Have a wonderful weekend everyone :)
 

11 comments:

  1. Have you seen the Time Travelers Wife movie? I thought they did a pretty good job of translating the book into a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your covers. Did you like The Time Traveler's Wife? I thought it was just okay....

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is something very nostalgic or poignant about the shoes isn't there?

    Hope you are having a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa~ I did see it & thought it was good in its own right, but not nearly as good as the novel :)

    Julie~ Thanks :) I really connected with it & it became an instant fave. I've linked the title to my review (along with Balzac & the Little Chinese Seamstress).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good choice! I love The Time Traveler's Wife and I think the cover is just perfect :) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, great minds think alike:)
    I just picked up the Balzac book, to be read soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tend to gravitate to covers with birds....do you find that that covers with shoes pull you in? I love the cover with the red shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I loved the Time Travelers Wife too :) Just not as sentimentally attached to it as the Anne Frank cover on my post. Thanks for visiting :)

    Do you think that liking the cover is influenced by the story inside?

    -Dee, hopping from e-Volving Books

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cover for Time Traveller did draw me in and I really enjoyed it.
    Have not seen the film yet.

    carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I luv the rich colors and illusion of texture of "Balzac on the Little Chinese Seamstress".

    ...James Earl Jones would be a much welcomed voice-over for CNN. Luv It!

    Happy Holiday!

    {S.T.U.F.F.}

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the cover of The Time Traveler's Wife!

    ReplyDelete