Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Monday, November 1, 2010

When the Bough Breaks- Jonathan Kellerman

Purchase:  Amazon | Chapters

Published:  1985
Length:  448 pages
ISBN:  9780345466600
Genre:  Mystery/Suspense, Alex Delaware series (book #1)

Start Date:  Sometime in 2007-8
Finished Date:  Sometime in 2007-8

Where Found:  Used bookstore
Why Read:  After exhausting all the John Grisham & James Patterson novels I could get my hands on, I decided to try out a new author the salesgirl recommended.

Summary:  A psychologist treats a young girl who is the only witness to the murder of a corrupt child psychiatrist.

Review:

It’s great to read a mystery that doesn’t centre around a cop or lawyer. What’s refreshing about James Patterson’s Alex Cross and Jonathan Kellerman’s Alex Delaware series is the perspective that a psychologist gives to homicide cases and the murderous criminals behind them.

The characters are deliciously atypical, similar in style to Sue Grafton, sculpting a central protagonist who we want to learn more about over time (hence, the creation of an ongoing series).  The plot is intricate, fast-paced, and ends with a terrific twist.

If you enjoy James Patterson, you will like Jonathan Kellerman’s series with psychologist Alex Delaware. I have only read the 1st book and have been taken with other titles since (isn’t that always the way?), but may return to the series in the future.

Rank:  (A)- Excellent

No comments:

Post a Comment